LINX is a mutually owned membership association for operators of Internet Protocol networks. We provide a neutral interconnection facility and peering platform, known as an Internet Exchange Point (IXP), and represent the interests of our members on matters of public policy.
PUBLIC AFFAIRS EXECUTIVE
Your chance to work at the heart of the Internet Industry
- Public Affairs Executive
- Head of Public Affairs
- The post holder will be based in the LINX London office but periodic travel to LINX’s Peterborough office will be required.
- Occasional but infrequent other domestic and international travel
Summary of the role:
- The Public Affairs Executive position exists to extend the capability of the Public Affairs department by supporting the outreach, communications and reporting requirements of the department and providing executive support and coordination.
The main areas of work are:
- Maintaining the LINX Public Affairs blog (https://www.linx.net/public-affairs), writing in the house style, to keep readers informed of relevant developments in Internet policy
- Drafting written reports and briefings, and producing presentation materials and occasional speech-writing for both internal and external audiences
- Producing high quality publications explaining the role of the LINX and the Public Affairs department and/or LINX’s position on policy issues, all for an external audience
- Guiding and supporting the Marketing & Business Development Department, especially in member relations activities, and managing policy consultations
- Providing executive assistance to the Head of Public Affairs, and acting as a liaison to other departments and for incoming enquiries
- Meet with Head of Public Affairs regularly to receive briefings on current topics and the activities and plans of the Public Affairs department and related activities.
- Draft the monthly written departmental report and the quarterly member presentation.
- Draft articles for the external company newsletter and other promotional materials, and liaise with the Marketing & Business Development Department to keep to deadlines.
- Produce other marketing collateral for the Public Affairs department, and assist in the production of other materials including the LINX Annual Report. Draft speeches and prepare presentation materials for the Head of Public Affairs.
- Transform draft documents and presentations into high-quality finished articles. These must meet LINX branding and document control requirements and present an attractive and professional appearance. Where appropriate, obtain and include graphics and illustrations to support the appearance and purpose of the document, e.g. positioning or advocacy.
- Write for the LINX Public Affairs blog and main web site, in particular:
- Identify relevant news reports online
- Write articles for the blog
- Identify suitable graphics and illustrations and include them in blog posts and other web pages
- Identify opportunities to promote the Public Affairs blog as a communications tool for promoting our outreach activities and policy advocacy goals, and execute plans accordingly.
- Manage member consultations on policy questions:
- Assist the Head of Public Affairs with the development of consultation questions and the production of consultation documents
- Provide both ongoing support and training for the Member Relations team on the work of the Public Affairs department and public affairs strategy, and specific briefing on particular consultation issues
- Provide a first line escalation of domain expertise support on policy topics, briefing members on policy issues raised by the consultation in question and the background to the consultation
- Ensure appropriate records are kept
- Otherwise assist with the execution of member consultations, as required
- Report back to the Head of Public Affairs on consultation outcomes
- Provide other support and guidance to the Marketing & Business Development department, especially:
- Attend new member inductions and outreach meetings, and participate in other Member Relations activities and events
- Coordinate the identification of relevant external personnel, and provide support for relationship management. Identify appropriate opportunities to extend the breadth and depth of LINX’s relationship with its members as regards LINX’s Public Affairs activities
- Supervise the publication of Press Releases and other generally available publications from the Marketing & Business Development department, to ensure branding and positioning guidelines and Key Messages statements that have been agreed with the Head of Public Affairs are implemented consistently
- Provide executive support for the Head of Public Affairs including:
- Calendar and travel management
- Support for case management and activity planning; receiving, processing and tracking incoming requests
- Support for strategic planning including development of departmental objectives
- Acting as a liaison between the Public Affairs department and other parts of the company; representing the Public Affairs department in internal planning meetings as required
- Some liaison with other organisations e.g. EuroISPA, Internet Society
- Superb written communication skills; a creative flair with the visual presentation of final documents and presentations
- Excellent oral communications and liaison skills
- Ability to quickly grasp complex and technical issues and communicate them effectively to others (see important note below on “domain expertise”)
- Highly organised with good time management and attention to detail
- Highly motivated self-starter capable of spotting opportunities to drive forward strategic objectives, and with both the energy and thoroughness to carry projects to completion
- Unimpeachable personal integrity and respect for confidentiality
- Good all-round IT literacy; familiarity with Internet and desktop Office tools; highly proficient with presentation software (Microsoft Powerpoint or equivalent)
Domain/policy expertise vs comprehension and communications skills:
The Public Affairs department deals with issues that are technically, legally, politically and economically complex. A large part of its work is to translate this complexity into easily comprehensible descriptions, acting as a bridge between the business executives, the technical community, lawyers, politicians and officials.
For example, if a policy decision has been given effect in draft legislation in a way that would have an unintended commercial impact because it doesn’t take account of the specifics of a technical matter, the Public Affairs department will identify the potential business risk, verify with technical and commercial specialists, explain the problem to policy makers and lawyers, and suggest alternative means of implementing the policy. This may involve explaining law to technologists, technology to policy-makers etc.
The Public Affairs Executive will not initially be conducting the primary analysis of policy or legislative proposals nor the primary advocacy function. Accordingly, a candidate for Public Affairs Executive is not required to have specific domain expertise in the legal, technical or policy areas.
Having been instructed on the key issues arising in a particular case, the Public Affairs Executive will be required to produce/provide clear and succinct briefings on those issues. The Public Affairs Executive therefore is required to have an excellent capability to grasp complex issues once briefed, and to communicate them to others. This is required for written materials but also orally (oral briefings will be mainly to colleagues and LINX members; written briefings will include external audiences).
- You will be required to be security screened to BS7858:1996 standard (this process will start at the induction stage)
- You are required to have the right to live and work in the UK
- You must be willing to travel overseas occasionally
LINX is an equal opportunities employer and all applications will be considered.
The salary for this position will be determined by experience however LINX offers a full range of employee benefits including:
- Medical and Dental
- Income Protection
- Death in Service
- Bonus (the Company aims to pay a bonus dependant on both the performance of the Company and the Employee however this is not guaranteed)
Closing date for applications:
20th February 2017