There are four elements to the Public Affairs mission
- To monitor developments in relative policy areas
- To inform members
- To educate decision-makers on public policy, and others with influence over public policy decisions
- To persuade policy makers to adopt decisions consist with our members' interests
Public Affairs geographies
LINX's Public Affairs activities are organised according to three geographical categories:
- UK domestic. LINX is incorporated in the UK and subject to UK law, so the UK is our home jurisdiction. We recognise that many of our members also have business elsewhere, and a considerable number have only very tenuous connection to the UK, but all members share an interest in the UK being a good place for network operators to do business, at least to the extent of supporting interconnection and peering.
- European Union. As the UK is a member of the European Union, LINX is also subject to EU law, as are its members (in some cases to a limited extent, but in most cases to a very substantial extent). Indeed, the core sector-specific regulatory environment for network operators in the UK and the rest of the EU is a matter of European, rather than national, law. LINX is a member and active participant in EuroISPA, the pan-European umbrella group for national trade bodies in this sector, which is our primary vehicle for engagement with the insitutions of the European Union.
- Global. LINX also engages with certain environments for the development of relevant policy that have global scope, particularly in the area of global Internet governance. This includes the technical mananagement organistions of the Internet technical community known as the "I* institutions": the Internet Society, the Regional Internet Registries, ICANN and the IETF. On occasion, LINX engages directly or indirectly with international intergovernmental institutions that develop global policy or the precursors of policy, such as the OECD, the Council of Europe, and various UN institutions, as appropriate to the topic and subject to LINX's practical capacity to make an impact.
Partnerships and affiliations
Partnerships and affiliations are an important part of LINX's Public Affairs activities. While many partnerships are matters of informal collaboration on matters of mutual concern, LINX also has some formal affiliations.