In December 2018 LINX and Saudi Telecom Company (STC) entered into a strategic partnership to form a new Internet exchange point in Jeddah called JEDIX.
JEDIX, powered by LINX, will be built on a fully redundant switching platform located in a neutral secure STC data center, known as MG1 (MENA Gateway). It is a neutral Internet traffic exchange platform, that can link global networks, network operators and content providers from right across the GCC region.
STC, Saudi’s incumbent operator and the largest operator in the MENA region, has pledged that the new partnership with LINX will help deliver on its mandate to establish Saudi Arabia as the key Hub for telecoms connectivity in the area as part of its Saudi Vision 2030.
“STC’s ambition is to develop JEDIX into the leading internet and data hub in the MENA region. In LINX we have a global leading IX partner who will help accelerate the delivery of this ambition and create a thriving interconnection eco system in the Kingdom.”
Alan Whelan, VP of STC Wholesale
Benefits of joining JEDIX will include:
- An Open IX to connect All Carriers, Cloud and Content providers in MG1 (MENA Gateway)
- LINX’s experience of 25 years of running a neutral IXP adds value locally to the largest market in the GCC
- The exchange is being built using disaggregated platform as per LINX’s LON2 network in London
- Jeddah is one of the main landing stations for African and Asian cable routes
- Saudi Arabia itself has many ASNs which would benefit from joining JEDIX as it will enable them to keep their traffic local
The MENA Gateway data centre is operated by STC. Networks will be able to connect to the exchange remotely once LINX ConneXions partners are present at JEDIX.
Please note that while JEDIX is not yet live, enquiries are being taken.