The LINX107 member conference and AGM will take place at the Park Plaza Victoria, in London on Monday 11th and Tuesday 12th November 2019.
For LINX107 we will again be using a system whereby delegates can arrange 30 minute peering meetings with one another in a dedicated meeting area. Everyone registered for LINX107 will be subscribed to the online meeting tool and will receive email notifications from firstname.lastname@example.org with details of how to access the facility. The email will also the option to unsubscribe from the tool.
The LINX107 attendee list for this event is viewable on the LINX member portal.
Please note that a member log-in to the portal is required to gain access.
We provide wireless connectivity (ssid=linx) during the event. Search for the ‘linx’ network and key the password ‘linx-meeting’. Please don’t hack, snoop, or otherwise do anything that would detrimental to other users.
We encourage all attendees to give their feedback after attending the event. During the second day a link will be posted to the LINX107 survey. Attendees who complete the form will be entered into a prize draw for one of four £25 Amazon vouchers.
Webcast for Members
If you are unable to make the conference in person, we provide a webcast service, thanks to Bogons. Members can access the webcast via the ‘events’ section in the LINX Member Portal (log-in required).
- LINX107 is a day and a half meeting with a networking social on the Monday evening
- The Park Plaza Victoria is a no smoking zone and in the event of a fire alarm, please vacate the room by the nearest marked exit
- Members are encouraged to provide lightning talks on their networks with these often taking place before a refreshment or lunch break. Please speak to a member of the LINX team if you would like to get involved in this
- Refreshments will be available from 10am for the pre scheduled peering meetings, followed by a light lunch at 1.00pm
- The meeting commences at 2.00pm with day one closing at approximately 6.15pm before the official event social begins at 7.00pm at a location to be announced
- On day two refreshments will be available from 9.30am in readiness for a 10am meeting start.
- The second day will end at around 1600.
In Meeting Protocol
- If you’d like to ask a question or make a point, please hold up your hand and please wait for the microphone to be provided by a member of staff, then state your name and question.
- If you would like to ask a question anonymously, please direct it to a member of LINX staff who will handle this for you.
- There is an active IRC channel for in-meeting chatter (#linx on london.terahertz.net); webcast watchers can use this to ask questions of presenters; we’ve published a guide to using this, which is linked from the main LINX107 meeting page.
- Please ensure that the meeting is not interrupted by mobile phones & laptop noises!
- Presentations will be available on the website www.linx.net/LINX106, so please use that for reference rather than trying to access the webcast from within the room.
Webcast for Members
If you are unable to make the conference in person we provide a webcast service. Members will be able to access the webcast via the ‘events’ section in the LINX Member Portal (log-in required).
LINX has been webcasting its member meetings for 15 years since LINX41 in May 2003. The service, which is provided by LINX member Bogons, is an excellent way for LINX’s global membership to follow conference proceedings if they are unable to make the event in person.
To view example footage please watch our video.
The draft agenda for this event is below. Please note that timings and content is still subject to change.
Day 1 – Monday
Free wireless connectivity available
All delegates will be automatically subscribed to our meeting tool. This will enable attendees to arrange private meetings with other delegates if they wish before the main programme begins in the afternoon.
Light lunch and refreshments
LINX Technology (Part 1)
Projects (Richard Petrie)
- TH Project update
- IX-API – Status
- CRM improvements
- Billing system update
- All services in one place
- Automation and reconciliation
- Feeds into digitisation of LINX services, all member services on our portal
- Office move, picture .. we have some restrictions now on member visits
- Manchester, 4th site
- Cardiff, new site, next year
Service issues (Anne Bates)
- Power issue in TH west, MX10K
- Nova power
- Change Freeze
- Maintenances, including LD6
& Anne Bates
Platinum Sponsor Presentation: Telent
Driving the Road to 5G Brief
This session will examine the changes in the network driven by LTE-A and 5G radio and how that impacts routing, security and the bandwidth needed for peering. The deployment of the Edge Cloud as the platform to drive new low latency &/or distributed service revenue across both the wide area and enterprise private networks will be discussed. Some of the trials and PoCs underway to prove the technology and use cases will be presented.
30 minute break and scheduled meetings
Bird route server project update
Ondrej Filip of Czech IXP, NIX.CZ, returns to give a short update on the BIRD route server project. This development was deemed so important it was honoured with the Conspicuous Contribution to LINX Award in 2010.
“The Conspicuous Contribution Award is presented to individuals or organisations who’ve demonstrated commitment to the development of LINX and the industry as a whole. There’s no doubt that BIRD is an important step forward in route server technology.” – John Souter
Public Affairs update
LINX Head of Public Affairs, Malcolm Hutty, will provide his popular run through of the latest developments in the regulatory world.
Silver Sponsor Presentation: Nokia
Peering Anno 2020: harder, better, faster, stronger
This presentation will discuss peering in the context of 400G and beyond, how telemetry information can be used as part of a closed-loop automation chain and how this leads to a better balanced network.
Trends in 400G Optics for the Data Center
The data center ecosystem is going through unprecedented growth and innovation as new players, new business models and new technologies converge. One of the drivers is the evolving landscape of fiber optics technologies enabling new architectures and enhanced levels of performance for both cloud service providers and enterprises. Data centers now require Ethernet switches supporting 400 Gb/s data rates with high port count and low power dissipation. The talk by Finisar’s Christian Urricariet covers the latest 400G industry trends in optics for the data center.
How LINX and interconnect has changed over the past 25 years
A perspective on 25 years of LINX and the wider interconnect sector from the brink of retirement…Can he tell the full story in 25 minutes?
End of day one of LINX107
Social commences with drinks at the Park Plaza Victoria from 18:00.
LINX107 Social Event – LINX 25th Birthday Party
The social will be held at a venue close to the Park Plaza Victoria and is free to attend to guests and all delegates who attend the LINX107 event in person.
Day 2 – Tuesday
Scheduled meetings for those signed up for the meeting tool
LINX Technology (Part 2)
Flemming (20 Mins)
LON updates (Flemming Heino)
- Juniper, LON1
- MX10K update: where we are, next steps, core and PTX removal
- EVPN & PoC
- Latest 1.3.6 being tested
Tooling and Services (Mike Hellers)
- Router Servers
- Bird & Quagga
- Config automation
- Alice Looking glass
& Mike Hellers
30 minute break and scheduled meetings
Guest IXP: IX.BR / NIC.BR
Brazil IX (IX.BR), part of the Brazil Network Info Centre (NIC.BR), have an interesting story. By ASN count, collective across Brazil, they are the largest IX business with some 1500+ ASNs and over 6Tb/s of traffic. In this talk Infrastructure Manager Julio Sirota will talk about the operations of IX.BR, the peering scene in Brazil and the wider view of telecoms in South America.
Giant Leaps! 2019 – The Moon Landing at 50 and LINX at 25
2019 is not only the 25th anniversary of LINX it is the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. LINX Board member Neil McRae, himself named after Neil Armstrong the first man to walk on the moon, presents a talk that focuses on the the communication between Mission Control and the Luna module and linking it to the ever increasing need for clear and quick communication today.
60 minute lunch break and scheduled meetings
Day 2 round up
What have we learned, call for any last comments and feedback form filling for a chance to win one of four £25 Amazon vouchers
End of day two of LINX107