This statement explains how The London Internet Exchange Limited (“LINX”, “we” and “our”) handles and uses data we collect about the representatives of our members (“you” and “your”). We will refer to the member you represent as “your member”. In broad terms, we use your data to manage the ongoing relationship between LINX and your member, including keeping in touch with you, keeping up to date on you and your member’s needs and activities and how we are meeting these, and engaging with you on how you can continue to contribute to the LINX membership community and otherwise support the Internet exchanges we run on your member’s behalf.
We will retain your data until you request us to do otherwise or we discover you no longer represent any LINX member. When changes are made to this statement, we will publish the updated version to our website and notify you by other communications channels as we deem appropriate or necessary.
The controller for your personal data is the London Internet Exchange Ltd, Trinity Court, Trinity Street, Peterborough, PE1 1DA, United Kingdom. The person responsible for data protection at the time of issue, and the person who is responsible for monitoring compliance with relevant legislation in relation to the protection of personal data, is Howard Fisher. You can contact us in this regard by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The legal basis for processing your personal data is that it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, where we have concluded that our interests do not impact inappropriately on your fundamental rights and freedoms, except where elsewhere in this statement we have indicated otherwise. You may ask us to explain our rationale at any time.
How your data is used by LINX
We collect and process your personal data, as specified below, for a number of purposes, including:
- to contact you in connection with your member’s membership and services;
- to advise you of events and activities that benefit your member that are provided as part of its membership;
- depending on the role you carry out, this may include technical, sales, satisfaction and governance matters.
- If you choose to participate in a public affairs consultation, we may use information from that consultation in support of our public affairs activities.
- Where you have provided us your personal details directly, the details will include your name, the member with which you are associated and your role there, any email addresses you have provided, any telephone numbers you have provided and any addresses you have provided.
- Where your details have been provided by another representative of your member, unless you later provide further details, we will only keep on record your name, job title, email address(es), contact address and phone number, together with details of the role you carry out in connection with the membership.
- We may also provide your details to third parties to carry out administration functions for example: Electoral Reform Services Ltd for the purpose of contacting you regarding voting at company meetings.
- We have subsidiary companies London Internet Trading Limited and LINX America Inc with whom we share your data. LINX America Inc operates in the USA.
- The provision of your personal data was not part of a statutory obligation or a contractual obligation with you.
- No decisions are automated within the scope/meaning of the GDPR.
You have the right: to ask us for access to, rectification or erasure of your data; to restrict processing (pending correction or deletion); to object to communications or direct marketing; and to ask for the transfer of your data electronically to a third party (data portability). Some of these rights are not automatic, and we reserve the right to discuss with you why we might not comply with a request from you to exercise them.
Where your personal details were supplied by a third party or taken from publicly accessible sources you have the right to be informed of the source.
Where you opt out of all future communications or exercise your right to erasure, we may continue to maintain a core set of personal data (name, member, email addresses) to ensure we do not contact you inadvertently in future.
You retain the right at all times to lodge a complaint about our management of your personal data with the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/